Version: 5.1 or higher
Models: Elite, Scout, Sentry (with Motorola DS457 "crosshair" barcode readers)
Date Updated: 7/2/2013
Turn a Motorola DS457 barcode reader into a drivers license scanner
The CSSN Scanshell scanner is the default drivers license scanners for all LobbyGuard models. However, many models do not come with all hardware devices, and the customer gets to choose which peripherals they would like to use. One of those devices is the Motorola DS457 Barcode Reader, which is a barcode reader by default, however it can be upgraded to also work as a drivers license scanner. It does this by reading the special barcodes on the back of most US States drivers licenses. It can only read un-encrypted licenses, and the barcodes must be clearly visible with no wearing or fading. The following instructions will allow you to update your DS457 barcode reader into a dual device--as a barcode reader and license scanner all in one.
- The kiosk software must be v5.1 or newer
- Connect a Motorola DS457 barcode reader/license scanner. Symbol barcode readers do not support this feature.
- Navigate to the LobbyGuard directory and open the Kiosk Config File. The directory is: C:\Program Files\LobbyGuard. The kiosk config file is named "LobbyGuard.Kiosk.exe" and has a "CONFIG" or "XMLCONFIG" file extension type.
- To open this file, right-click on it and choose "Open With: Notepad"
- Maximize the windows and turn on word wrap.
- Next, locate the key called: driversLicenseScannerTypeName
- The value for this key needs to be changed in order for the unit to be set to use the Motorola DS457 barcode reader as the license scanner instead of the default CSSN Scanshell scanner. After changing the value, save and exit:
- If using the CSSN Scanshell scanner, use value "LG.Devices.CSSScanner"
- If using the Motorola DS457 scanner, use value "LG.Devices.DS457"
- If the entire tag does not exist, then the unit is not running v5.1 or newer. If it is then the key can be manually added. It would be added above the "</appSettings>" tag. The full key is: <add key="driversLicenseScannerTypeName" value="LG.Devices.DS457, LG.Devices, Version=126.96.36.199, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" />
The DS457 barcode reader will now work as a dual scanner--it will read barcodes (to sign out) as well as the barcode on the back of drivers licenses (to populate the name and DOB during sign-in).
The DS457 only scans 2D barcodes found on Driver's Licenses from 39 states and will not scan 1D barcodes as no data resides in the 1D barcodes. The barcodes highlighted in red below are the 2D barcodes that are supported by the DS457 in order to act as a driver's license scanner.