Scanning a Driver License or ID: How it Works and What to Do if the Visitor has no ID
LobbyGuard supports the scanning of a US State-Issued Driver License or State-Issued ID to reduce the time to sign in and to increase building security. This article will discuss the features and options available for license scanning and will review your options for visitors who have no license or ID. When a visitor scans a license all the information from that license including name, date of birth, address, city/state/zip code and height/hair/eye color are obtained and used in the LobbyGuard background checking feature. This information is also stored as part of the visitor's record of his or her time in the building.
How to enable Driver License Scanning in LobbyGuard
Follow these steps to enable license scanning:
- Log into LobbyGuard FrontDesk at frontdesk.lobbyguard.com
- Click on the ADMINISTRATION section on the left side of the screen then click on WORKFLOWS.
- Choose one of the visitor types from the Visitor Types column, then choose a Reason for Visit. In the example below the visitor type "Contractor" is chosen and the "Meeting" reason for visit is chosen:
- The WORKFLOW column will be visible on the far right. Scroll down in this column and click the checkbox to the left of "Request Visitor's drivers license". Below this checkbox you will see several additional options for scanning a license:
- Save Drivers license info - Enable this setting to save the information from the license scan as part of the visitor record. When enabled the following data is obtained during the DL scan: FirstName, MiddleName, LastName, Address, City, State, Zip, Id ExpirationDate, Height, Hair, Eyes, and BirthDate. Not all data is displayed in FrontDesk, see visitor details via FrontDesk for available data.
Disable this setting if you only wish to save the visitor name and date of birth.
- Scan front of drivers license - LobbyGuard customers who are using an image license scanner from older LobbyGuard products should enable this setting. If you have purchased your LobbyGuard product after March 2013 you should not enable this setting. If you are not sure what type of scanner you are using please contact email@example.com
- Scan back of drivers license - LobbyGuard customers who are using a bar code license scanner should enable this setting. If you have purchased your LobbyGuard product after March 2013 you should enable this setting. If you are not sure what type of scanner you are using please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use License photo on visitor badge - LobbyGuard customers who are using an image license scanner from older LobbyGuard products can enable this setting to use the photo taken from the license scan as the photo on the visitor badge. Disabling this setting will print the photo taken by the LobbyGuard camera during sign-in on the visitor badge. If you have purchased your LobbyGuard product after March 2013 you should not enable this setting. If you are not sure what type of scanner you are using please contact email@example.com
- Require license scan in order to proceed / Allow the visitor to bypass license scan - This feature allows enforcement of the license scan policy at your building or facility. If you wish to allow visitors to bypass the license scan you should click the button to the left of "Allow the visitor to bypass the license scan". This will cause LobbyGuard to display a "Click here if you do not have a license" button on the LobbyGuard kiosk during sign-in. The policy and process requirements around this feature are detailed below. Clicking the option to "Require license scan in order to proceed" will require visitors to scan a license in order to proceed with the sign-in process.
Click the SAVE WORKFLOW button at the bottom of the Workflow column to save your settings. Repeat this workflow setup for any other visitor types and reasons for visit for which you wish to enable driver license scanning.
Sign In and Scan a Driver License
From the LobbyGuard kiosk press the START button then press the visitor type and reason for visit for which you have enabled driver license scanning; in the above example you would press CONTRACTOR then MEETING. During the sign-in you will be presented with the driver license scan screen as shown below:
A video shows the visitor how to scan his or her license. All LobbyGuard products sold after March 2013 feature the bar code license scanner that is capable of instantly reading the data from any US State-Issued Driver License and most State-Issued IDs that contain a 2D barcode like the one below:
Follow the video instructions and hold the 2D bar code under the red "crosshairs" of the LobbyGuard bar code scanner. You will hear a "beep" when the scan is successful. If you are not hearing the beep try adjusting the angle of the license and the distance between the bar code scanner and the license.
Once you have scanned the license continue with the sign-in process until complete.
What if the visitor doesn't have a driver license?
An important policy decision that needs to be established prior to deploying your LobbyGuard product is what action to take if/when a visitor enters the building without a driver license or ID. LobbyGuard gives you the option and the ability to enforce whatever policy you decide:
- If you wish to enforce the scanning of a driver license: This is the easiest and most secure method of sign-in. In the workflow settings choose the option to "Require license scan in order to proceed" as shown below. Note that visitors who do not have a license or ID will be forced to stop the sign-in process and will need to speak to an employee in order to complete the sign-in:
- If you wish to allow visitors with no ID to sign in: This setting allows for visitors who do not have a license or ID to sign in using an on-screen keyboard, including visitor name and date of birth. In the workflow settings choose the option to "Allow visitor to bypass license scan":
Allowing visitors to bypass the license scan is only recommended for environments not running an instant background check or where a front office personnel are actively reviewing visitor records in FrontDesk.
If a visitor signs in / needs to sign in without a driver license it is recommended that you always ask that visitor for a form of ID that verifies the visitor's name and date of birth, and to use this ID to verify the information entered during sign-in by access the visitor record at frontdesk.lobbyguard.com. This is especially important if you are running instant background checks with LobbyGuard.